Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Leftover Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream!


Hello fellow ice cream crazy people! I went to Crazy Town today with an idea. Last week was Canadian Thanksgiving here in good old Vancouver, BC Canada and to celebrate, I made two pies from scratch: pumpkin pie with a ginger snap crust and maple syrup whipped cream, and classic lemon meringue pie with a fluffy toasted meringue. Side note to all pie makers: high fives all around to you guys. Pies can really take some time! But every moment was enjoyable and I look forward to making more and more pies in my baking future.

Because I tend to be a bit of an experimenter in the kitchen, measurements aren't always my strong suit-- I was combining a few different pumpkin pie recipes to make one pie so therefore I wasn't sure how much pie filling to make to fill my 9 inch ginger snap crust. So I went with doubling the pie filling recipe, figuring more is better... thus, I had leftover pie filling! About 3 cups of it, which I poured into a container and put in the fridge.

I'll make another pie with that later, I said.

But then today, I was struck with an idea: why not cook the filling like you would an ice cream custard, add some sweetened consdensed milk and whole milk, mix it up and throw it in ye olde ice cream machine and see what happens??

What happened was a total experiment, and an example of using up ingredients to make something else... no waste! Hooray! But sometimes crazy recipes come into fruition this way, right? This turned out to be a really smooth, creamy and delicious ice cream with a distinct pumpkin/spice/brown sugar flavour.

So here it is. A recipe for pumpkin pie ice cream! I recommend pairing it with some crunchy thin ginger snaps... either ice cream sandwich style or served on the side!

{Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream}

You will need:

3 cups of 1 recipe pumpkin pie filling (recipe right below. make a pie too!)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (300 ml) 1.5 cups heavy cream

(Pumpkin Pie Filling)

1.5 cups heavy cream
2 eggs, beaten

1 16oz can of pumpkin

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp powdered ginger


1. Mix all your pumpkin pie filling ingredients together. Put in a medium saucepan on stove. Cook on stove at medium-high for a few minutes until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove pot from stovetop, let cool.

2. In a large bowl, pour in sweetened condensed milk. Whisk in heavy cream.

3. Slowly whisk in cooled pumpkin pie filling into milk ingredients. Whisk together to combine.

4. Chill pumpkin pie ice cream mixture until well-chilled, 1 hour in freezer or 3-4 hours in refrigerator!

5. Pour into ice cream maker and watch some pumpkin power churn up before your eyes, 25-30 minutes or until desired ice creaminess.

6.
Scoop out and enjoy with a side of ginger snaps, or scoop between two crisp ginger snaps for a very delightful ice cream sandwich!

Happy Fall everyone! ^_^

6 comments:

gyoza*girl said...

omg!! that looks so yummers!

Coco Cake Land said...

sis, you havE GOT TO COME OVER and eat some of it because i really don't want to eat it all myself!! aiyahh!!

Keith said...

Next time try putting in a pie shell. I do that with the ready made graham cracker crusts from the store when I make pumpkin ice cream. My wife calls them Pice Creams. I also like getting the mini ones so everyone can have their own little dessert ice cream pie.

Kudos on making the filling from scratch... I cheat and use store bought. Tasty, but not as impressive as doing it all yourself.

I have a vanilla bean in the churn as I type, but now you made me wish I'd made pumpkin.

Coco Cake Land said...

hi keith! ice cream pie, nice one -- or pice creams... ^_^

thanks for visiting!

william said...

Hey this looks very delicious. Both colours blend well together. Though I have never tried pumpkin ice cream ever in my life. It looks too good to eat.

Ice Cream Nashville said...

Your recipe is spot on for a great fall treat. Love pumpkin ice cream, let alone in a cookie sandwich. Great idea thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...